Chapel, Minister’s Study and Library

Chapel, Minister’s Study and Library

Chapel A 19th-century church, constructed of typical board and batten, has been re-created at the Museum using furnishings from various churches. These include a 140-year old pulpit and arches from a Merrickville church and pews from a Monkland church, both...

Continue reading →

Commemorative China Plates and Mugs

Commemorative China Plates and Mugs

In the late 1950s, there was revival of interest in commemorating depictions of local churches on ceramic plates. This had been a practice that had become popular in the 1890s through the early years of the 20th century when...

Continue reading →

Books

Books

Bibles The Presbyterian Church has always looked to the Holy Bible for its "faith and manners", with tradition playing a very secondary role in establishing doctrinal standards. Presbyterians of the past carried their Bibles to Sunday worship, and every Presbyterian...

Continue reading →

Minister’s Study Desk

Minister’s Study Desk

This desk belonged to the Rev. Dr. George Milligan, minister of Old St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Toronto (distinct from St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, King Street). It had been used by him in the 1860s while he was serving on...

Continue reading →

Communion Token Dies

Communion Token Dies

Brass dies, or moulds, which produced the Communion token for Londonderry (Nova Scotia) Presbyterian Church. They were produced in and dated 1844. These dies belonged to St. James United Church, Great Village, NS. Rev. Angus Sutherland, Chair of the...

Continue reading →