Chapel A 19th-century church, constructed of typical board and batten, has been re-created at the Museum using furnishings from various churches. These include a 140-year old pulpit and arches from a Merrickville church and pews from a Monkland church, both in the Glengarry area. Oil lamps light the sanctuary and a pump-organ stands at the […]
In the late 1950s, there was revival of interest in commemorating depictions of local churches on ceramic plates. This had been a practice that had become popular in the 1890s through the early years of the 20th century when churches contracted with porcelain companies in Germany to produce decorative china with coloured images of the […]
Bibles The Presbyterian Church has always looked to the Holy Bible for its “faith and manners”, with tradition playing a very secondary role in establishing doctrinal standards. Presbyterians of the past carried their Bibles to Sunday worship, and every Presbyterian household had a family Bible, often including the “hymn book”, the Psalter, or, the Psalms […]
This desk belonged to the Rev. Dr. George Milligan, minister of Old St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Toronto (distinct from St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, King Street). It had been used by him in the 1860s while he was serving on his first mission field at Vanneck (a.k.a. English Settlement) northwest of London, Ont.
Brass dies, or moulds, which produced the Communion token for Londonderry (Nova Scotia) Presbyterian Church. They were produced in and dated 1844. These dies belonged to St. James United Church, Great Village, NS. Rev. Angus Sutherland, Chair of the Museum Advisory Committee, was asked to lead worship and preach at the 207th and final anniversary […]